Thursday, July 30, 2015

IKEA Mammut Kid's Furniture Plus Free Crochet Basket Pattern

Rectification of my last post:

As you can read in the comments of my last post I dated my little side table incorrectly. My reader’s information greatly helped my further research which learned me it belongs to the IKEA Mammut product line for children which was created in 1993 by Allan Östgaard and Morten Kjelstrup.

What puzzles me is that the IKEA website tells me the furniture is made of plastic to keep it light weight. Now my little table consists of a thick plate of MDF and hollow metal legs. It’s very heavy and does not make you think of a four year old at all. A teenager’s (Seventies) bed side table seemed more likely. Not defending my initial assumption though, I’m just trying to understand how I was mislead.

The question remains when the product material was changed and what value being the original version could add to my possession. I’d love to hear from you if you know.


Other than that it’s fun to find out the little plastic stool I use in my yard to do bike repairs on is a family member of my ‘night table’.

I read the Mammut line was inspired by cartoon drawings and the stool clearly expresses that. It reminds me of the drawing style of The Smurfs though that must not be necessarily the designers’ source.

Thinking about the Smurfs I remembered the felted basket I created years ago. I could see Smurfette carrying it. This would look great in a little girl's bedroom too!

For fun I add a basic description of the crochet pattern.

You need feltable yarn. When you want to felt crochet can be fairly loose. I used a 4.0 mm (US G) hook. When you don’t want to felt use a smaller hook than yarn would normally take so it becomes tight.

Bottom: flat round in sc, row 1: 6 st. row 2: double to 12. row 3 double to 24, then increase 6 each row. In total 11 rows.
Side: 9 rows of dc + 1 row sc.
Ruffled edge: 3 dc in each stitch.
Handle: cast on 6 dc in sc row just under the ruffle (inside). Make as long as you like and stitch to the other side.
Finish: Machine wash hot and tumble dry. Dry with cloth or rags inside to form shape. Sew edges of handle band together with a support inside. I used a twisted plastic covered copper cord. Flowers are pinned on. I still had them lying around. Flower patters can be found all over the web.

1 comment:

fimex said...

Thanks for sharing, those furniture look nice!