Thursday, October 29, 2009

Trash For Stray Kitties

From all the books I find on the curbs there's a number I can't list in my on line shop because they don't have an ISBN or EAN number, either because they're too old or published by Time Life or Reader's Digest or such who for some reason don't have to publish under these official rules.

Which doesn't mean nobody is interested so I kept those apart for a long time, till a while ago I found an ad from a lady on a local website asking for books to sell on markets to raise funds for a foundation that neuters and feeds stray cats. We have several stray cats in the back who've been helped that way and are being fed by people at their own costs. I love cats and think it's very important to prevent more kittens from being born in the wild. It's really hard to socialize them and find homes for them. Remember Miene?

I contacted the lady and she was happy to come pick up the whole lot. I also love helping out such small foudations because I know they don't have any payed employees and every bit of my donation (even if it's not in cash) will go for 100 % to the good cause. I know larger worldwide organizations do good work and are necessary (WWF, IFAW and such), but think a part of your donation will always go to wages (and other costs).

When the lady came to my house she brought me some curb finds of her own, how cool! A vinegar and oil set in a rack and some magazines. Then seeing my work she told me she's a jewelry maker herself and later brought me beads and broken and deconstructed jewelry she had no use for. Most welcome!



Here are some necklaces I made using wax cords I got from my new trash picking friend. See my shop here if you're interested.

She may not sell all the books I gave her, maybe even just a small part. But if it's enough to neuter just one cat or buy some food I'm happy. What local group or micro-foundation do you have near you that you could help out in such a simple way?

2 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

I'm so happy to hear that...I am a big animal advocat and we have lots of strays and community cats in our neighborhood that were helped by just us locals having fundraisers and getting together selling our homemade stuff or baked goods. I agree with you about the big organizations helping animals in a big, nationwide way, a lot of the money has to go to overhead and expenses, but it's so rewarding to see it go straight to the cause.
Love your post. Thanks for letting us know that people care and try to help in small ways to make a big difference - if even just to one cat. One single female can be responsible for thousands of kittens in her life time, so sterilizing just one cat will have a big impact in the long run.
Bless you and keep up the good work.

P.s. It's so nice to hear from you again - where have you been?

Kind Regards,
Doris

Dorothy said...

You are very crafty and I'm glad I visited your blog.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com